Thursday, September 4, 2008

Summertime as an Italian Neuroengineer

I haven’t added an entry having anything to do with science for a while. This is because being an Italian neuroengineer means, for better or worse, doing very little during the summer. To succeed here, you’ve got to have a lot of patience. People don’t move so fast or work so many hours. Results don’t come as quickly. People take their own sweet time. At least during the summer. This has proven to be fairly frustrating for me because I only have six months here. However, when considering a lifetime as a scientist, it’s also a pleasant idea to think that I might actually get some time off each and every year. I’ll have to wait to see how the fall goes. I hope that, as promised, the pace of research will pick up. Right now I'm still waiting on a lightbulb replacement in my microscope... the order was placed in late July. Can you say frustrating?

I'm starting to compile a final list of grad schools to which I will apply. I’ll probably include several schools in Europe in addition to some in America. In the end, well, I don’t know what I want yet! But I have to say, Europe is extremely interesting. There is just so much to see: so many major cities so near each other and with much more affordable transportation between them. It could certainly be worth at least a few more years here. But then again, you can’t deny the allure of Southern California


Today's clip art is from WebWeaver .

No comments: