Friday, September 19, 2008

Lounging Around Pisa

In a city, there are always new things to see, new seasons in which to see them, different times of day or night in which to wander past, and new sets of eyes with which to share them. With this in mind, I’m trying to make a point now to really open my eyes each time I walk through Pisa and to notice something new every day. I can’t see all of Europe and then forget to really familiarize myself with my host town! So I’ve been following the long route home, exploring new side streets, and taking the time to visit La Torre Pendente—the Leaning Tower—for shady late afternoon reading sessions and barefoot night-time strolls through the grass. I am finding that every time I go out, there really is something new to see: another detail I hadn’t caught, shadows cast in a new way, and shapes or colors I hadn’t quite appreciated beforehand. Oh, there is so much left to explore!

I hope that by December I'll know this city like the back of my hand. There are some cities one could never get to know completely in six months, but Pisa is not one of these. There may not be so much to take pictures of here, but it is perhaps the mundane that I would like to start capturing because it is in and of itself wonderful. I would be sad when the memories begin to blur should I not have any JPG data to reinforce them.

No comments: