Wednesday, July 2, 2008

How to Practice Speaking Italian

Happy to no longer be homeless (living from a hostel), I moved into my new apartment last week on Monday (June 23) (see the photo taken from my front door?!). Finding this apartment was quite possibly one of the best things that happened to me since arriving. I am living with three students from the University of Pisa: Claudia, studying history; Alessandro, studying Earth Sciences; and Enrica, my roommate, finishing her thesis in literature. These three people couldn’t be friendlier. The very day I moved, they kept me up late chatting and swapping stories despite my very limited Italian. (Did I mention they don’t really speak English? Yikes!) We kept an online English-Italian dictionary open to help us out, but it wasn't too difficult and I had a very fun evening. Since then, we have shared plenty of dinners together. They take me out with their friends, show me around the city, and offer me an infinite reserve of patience as I’m still learning Italian.

I’ve been thoroughly impressed by the kindness all of the Italian students have shown me since I’ve arrived. I’ve also learned that a great way to practice my Italian is by letting it slip to an Italian that I am in “una confraternità” (a sorority). This works like a charm. It consistently sparks interest and prompts a certain standard set of questions: What do you do in a sorority? Are you a cheerleader? How do you join a sorority? What is the name of your sorority? What does it mean? Oh, boy…

No comments: