Friday, July 11, 2008

My First Sagra!

What is a sagra, you ask? According to about.com, a sagra is defined as "a local fair, usually a celebration of the bounties of the earth." And I just returned home from a sagra celebrating the food of Sardinia. I went to this sagra with a large group of people from my lab. The sagra was held out in the country, right alongside a giant sunflower field. By 9pm, I really had no idea quite what to order (and was so hungry I could hardly think straight! How do these Italians all eat so late?), but as I've never tasted a kind of fish I didn't like, I figured I'd be safe with that. While the fish was indeed delicious, I'd been expecting a hunk of meat, not a whole fish still closely resembling the animal it recently was! I've also learned that patience is a virtue. Italians don't just order a meal. They order their appetizers... then their first plate... then their second plate... then a dessert... then coffee and after-dinner liquer. And in between each course, there is lots of time for chatting. If you make the mistake of only ordering a second plate, you may find yourself going crazy in the meantime. But live and learn, right?

No comments: