Thursday, July 24, 2008

An American Breakfast for our Italian Friends


Apparently American cuisine has a reason to boast: breakfast. It turns out that my roommates had never tasted French toast (Hmm, maybe this is French? But even if so, I imagine it's been sufficiently Americanized) and the concept of peppers in a meal before noon sounded absolutely absurd to them. Yesterday evening, Ramòn and I got together to solve these problems. I prepared French toast (using Italian bread, of course) and Ramòn cooked scrambled eggs with ham, onions, and peppers. Claudia, one of my roommates, joined in the kitchen festivities by cooking us a special kind of lasagna prepared with unleavened Sardinian bread and lots of cheese. She also made a cake, as usual.

Claudia, Enrica (the roommate who actually shares my room), Danilo (Claudia’s friend), Ramòn, and I all ate together at 9pm. Our Italian friends, though slightly disturbed by placing fruit, lasagna, and scrambled eggs on the same plate at the same time, were impressed by the American food! As we were beginning dessert a couple of hours later, a few more of Claudia’s friends came over to say goodbye. They won’t be coming back from vacation until mid to late September. Stepping outside together, I learned that my apartment actually has both a see-saw and a Disneyland-tea-cup-style spinner! Last night, the basic joys of a children's playground surpassed all language barriers.

No comments: