Monday, October 20, 2008

Grad School Hunting

I’ve been talking for a couple of years about possibly going to grad school in Europe. I’m having a wonderful time here and I’d like to stay overseas at least a few more years. After an exhaustive search for interesting PhD programs, here are the schools I am most seriously considering:

  • Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland
  • Eldgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich (ETH), Zurich, Switzerland
  • Ecole des Neurosciences de Paris (a new, collaborative, international PhD program), Paris, France
  • Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy

I enjoyed my weekend in London this fall, but I realized when I was there that that was all I wanted it to be: just a weekend, a nice little break when I could slip back into my native tongue. Really, I adore the challenge of living in another language. I would like to live outside the English-speaking world until I no longer need to operate in English to express myself to the fullest extent.

More updates to come as the application process progresses!

No comments: