Friday, August 8, 2008

And so the adventures begin...

After a long day or two of travels, Alex and Anastasia arrived at long last in Pisa yesterday. I was already standing on their platform by the time their train from Rome rolled in. We bee-lined for my place and had a slow evening with pasta and Bacardi Breezers. (Couldn’t forget to celebrate Alex’s first night somewhere being legal.) We swapped stories and spent a lot of time laughing. Finally it was off to bed… at least that would have been a good idea. But Anastasia and I are much more inventive with our time. After all, what could possibly be more useful after non-stop traveling across nine time zones and spending a hot summer day in Rome than to help your second cousin once removed (that would be me) figure out exactly how tall and rich the future love of her life must be based upon the first initial of his last name?

…Somehow this made a lot more sense after not sleeping for over 24 hours. (I had also pulled an all-nighter the previous night in an effort to get some extra data analysis done.)

The next morning we woke at the crack of… 3:45pm. Holy crap! So we frantically packed our stuff, jotted down all the last minute information we needed from the internet, and closed up the apartment. We headed over to the Leaning Tower, where I was at long last reduced to being a tourist, but with my luggage strapped over my shoulders, I didn’t resist much: the tower is a perfectly respectable place to begin living the true backpacking-across-Europe dream. On our way to the train station, we also swung by the Scuola Normale Superiore and grabbed some gelato (requisite Italian treat).

We missed the train we hoped to catch, but the next still got us to the airport with plenty of time to spare. And so we were off!

No comments: