Monday, June 23, 2008

Lab: My Home(s) away from Home

During the first few days following my arrival in Italy, I began to get a feel for Pisa. I got myself a phone (email if you need the number), found an apartment right by the Pisa soccer stadium with an excellent view of the Leaning Tower, and dove headfirst into a large stack of science papers!

To carry out my research project, I am using facilities at three different laboratories: the ARTS Lab (Advanced Robotics Technology and Systems), the CRIM Lab (Center for Research in Microengineering), and the NEST Lab (National Enterprise for nanoScience and nanoTechnology). The first two of these labs are affiliated with the Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, whereas the latter is affiliated with the Scuola Normale Superiore. Both of these schools are located in Pisa.

You can learn more about these labs by following these links:

ARTS Lab http://www.sssup.it/context.jsp?ID_LINK=59&area=47

CRIM Lab http://www-crim.sssup.it/

NEST Lab http://www.sns.it/it/laboratori/laboratoriscienze/nest/

The facilities available in these labs are top-notch. I’m thoroughly impressed by the work being done here and I’m incredibly excited to be a part of this research team for the next six months.

No comments: